The best concept of fatherhood is the one exemplified by our Eternal Father, the father of all creation. This concept was put forward by His Son, Jesus Christ, when he taught man the Lord’s Prayer in Luke 11.
Let’s have a look:
- A father must provide an EXEMPLARY MODEL for his home. God leads His call for holiness by keeping a holy name Himself. Being an example of what you preach is the best lesson a father could give his children and entire family. He must be a perfect role model for his children.
“Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.” [Luke 11:2]
- A father is the head of his family and must provide EXCELLENT RULERSHIP. He must have things under control in the family. He must ensure that law and order is maintained in the family.
“Thy kingdom come.” [Luke 11:2]
- A father must be a VISIONARY. He should have a plan for his family, bearing where he wants his family to be after several years of leading his people. He must have a vision and a sound plan for the achievement of that vision.
“Thy will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven.”[Luke 11:2]
- A father is the PROVIDER. He is responsible for caring and catering for the needs of his family. Therefore, he is required to work to carry out this responsibility successfully.
“Give us day by day our daily bread.” [Luke 11:3]
- A father must have a LOVING AND FORGIVING HEART. Fathers should desist from strife and rancour. He should never entertain bitterness when hurt by his children. Unforgiveness and strife on the part of a father, who is the head, could verily wreak the home. Let nothing be done through strife.
“And forgive us our sins, as we forgive our debtors.” [Luke 11:4]
- A father must provide an EXCELLENT LEADERSHIP. He should be a good leader. He must lead his family on the right path. The father is responsible for taking the leading role of teaching his children the ways of righteousness.
“Lead us not into temptation.” [Luke 11:4]
- A father is the PROTECTOR. He must provide necessary physical and spiritual security for his home. He should protect his home from intruders and must keep his children from any bad external influence. He is supposed to be the spiritual watchman over his household, shielding his home from evil.
“But deliver us from evil.” [Luke 11:4]
We must all endeavour to replicate the model handed down to us by our Heavenly Father. Stay blessed, as you walk in His example!