Jochebed is her name, a name not so popular. She was the mother of Moses, the greatest prophet to have lived on earth; the man who spoke with God face to face, as a man with his friend and through whom God did many wonderful works including the parting of the Red Sea.
Jochebed gave birth to Moses at time when there was an evil edict against male babies of Hebrews in Egypt. However, she survived it and saw her child grow to be a mighty man.
5 virtues of this amazing woman:
1. Jochebed had foresight. With her eyes of faith, she saw in that little baby a great deliverer. She was a visionary. Learn to be far-sighted; don’t only consider issues base on present circumstances.
2. Jochebed was willing to sacrifice her life for her Vision. Going against the king’s command meant suffering a death sentence. But she placed her life on the line to save her baby and to save her vision of seeing her “goodly child” become great.
3. Jochebed knew how to say NO. At a time when some women were offering their male-born to be slain, she refused to accept an evil sentence on the life of her child. Women must learn to say NO when necessary.
4. Jochebed preserved her vision. She wouldn’t sacrifice her vision for anything. She hid her baby for three months. In spite of the cries of the baby, this amazing woman kept him safe from the edge of the king’s sword. She never exposed him to hurt. Learn to preserve whatever vision God places in your heart. Keep it from saboteurs.
5. Jochebed employed wisdom to partner with an able party to see her vision become a reality. When it was time for her to outdoor her child, Jochebed placed her baby at a strategic area, by the side of the river where the king’s daughter washes herself. Then made her daughter watch to see what becomes of her young brother.
The king’s daughter saw the baby and adopted him and paid Jochebed wages to nurse him till the time he was weaned. Jochebed saw Moses grow up in the palace as the son of a princess; and saw her vision materialize, even after her decease. Learn to wisely partner with individuals who could make your vision come true.
Exodus 2:1-10; Numbers 12:8; Numbers 26:59; Hebrews 11:23; Acts 7:22